Wednesday, December 07, 2011

How To Wear: Waxed Denim

As my lovely friend and I were driving through a not so lovely part of Boston on our way to do some community service yesterday, she told me about these pants she recently purchased.  Now, this friend of mine has fabulous taste, but she admittedly is not the most adventurous with clothes (half of the great things in her closet still have tags on them. Don't worry I already kicked her).  SO... when she told me she bought not one, but TWO pairs of waxed denim jeans, I had to tell her to pump the breaks.  DOG am I on a roll with these puns these days.  The next thing she said was the catalyst to this very post, "COOL! Now I'm trendy.  GREAT!  Now when the HECK am I going to wear them!"

As I began to list all of the potential outfits she could create with these babies, she told me to stop talking and to just come over later to show her what to do.  And exactly that I did...


For daytime - Miss did not believe me when I told her she could absolutely wear her black waxed denim while it is light out.  Boy did I prove her wrong.  Here, we paired the black pants with a plaid chiffon top and a charcoal one-sleeved poncho/cape hybrid and topped the whole outfit off with some bad ass boots.  This works because the plaid totally dresses down the leather-look-a likes, while the pope (poncho cape) keeps the outfit looking sophisticated effortlessly.  The mix of textures (leather, wax, chiffon, cashmere) makes the outfit interesting and COOL.  Paired with leather bracelets and a rockin' watch, this outfit is totally awesome for class... or a lunch date ;).  (Try also: fur vests, army style jackets, suede booties.)

For the noche - Pulling outfits to go out in with these pants was so much fun! While this lady was able to see a bunch of ensembles she could put together for night time, we decided to share this one with you all!  We paired the dark blue waxed pants with a dark grey bootie with a sexay heel, a chiffon patterned top (worn backwards mind you so the velvet stripe would show), and layered gold necklaces.  Since the pants are such a unique texture, I would like to stress the importance of playing with different textures! Mixing chiffon, leather, and velvet is a fun way to highlight the pants! (Try also: sequins, studs, cool cut outs).  Bad ass accents (studs, buckles, frays) match well with these pants because they are in the same "style family."

Now go out and get yourself some waxed jeans so you can put these tricks to use!

2 comments:

  1. Where did she buy these? I love the looks you created, especially the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anywhere that carries J Brand! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete