Monday, November 28, 2011

strategic holiday dressing, YAY

On my walk to class this fine morning, I noticed a significant number of oversized sweaters on the females I passed.  Using my jedi powers, I gave each and every one of them a high five, as I myself was wearing a shirtdress to cover my Thanksgiving food baby that refuses to deflate.  While this strategic way of  dressing is critical in these holiday months when self control goes out the window, it is important to execute ensembles properly to avoid looking homeless (nay).  Naturally, I thought I would lay out a few guidelines to effectively conceal that gut (yay)....

If you choose to go the oversized sweater or shirt-dress route, make sure the rest of you looks put together. For example, try jeans (obvi a stretchy pair) instead of leggings or loose pants.  (My general formula is oversized on top = fitted on bottom).  Likewise, put on a pair of boots! You'd be surprised how much a pair of boots can clean up an outfit.

Now for those of you who don't have a sweater or shirt-dress option, don't fret I have idears for you too.  Stick to neutrals, cough dark colors cough, as bright colors draw attention to those problem areas... duh.  Scarves are a no brainer if you want to cover your tum - try playing with color here, a brightly colored scarf will divert attention to your beautiful face.  Vests are also a great option to create the illusion of a narrow waistline while still looking sophisticated.  Also try a fitted blazer... if the waist cinches in well above your hips and the jacket is left open you will be thanking me later.

Please do avoid anything that accentuates a f.u.p.a. (high waisted jeans, cropped sweaters without a layer under) and vertical stripes... eek.

For those of you who are visual learners...
sweater: urbanoutfitters, jeans: james jeans via shopbop, boots: madewell, t:kain label via shopbop, scarf: forever 21, blouse: topshop, vest: forever21

No comments:

Post a Comment